I am normally not a very political person. I don't talk politics. I don't talk issues. I have my own strong beliefs, values, understandings, and opinions on many issues, but I am not one tell them freely to others. In a political or idealogical conversation, I usually just ask questions about the other person's opinions in order to understand why they believe a certain way. I'm not really one to express my own. I'm someone who hates controversy. It makes me almost sick to think about having to argue with people. I feel I am not articulate enough in order to express myself in just the right way. I am the kind of person who does not enjoy competition. Ask anyone who has ever played board games with me.
With all that in mind, what I am about to do is COMPLETELY out of character for me.
I support Marriage in California. I grew up in California and I remember the big push to pass Prop. 22 in 2000. This proposition did not add or take away any rights. It simply defined marriage as something between a man and a woman. While in most political circumstances the church remains neutral and does not push its agenda, for Prop. 22, leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints wrote to the members urging them to vote for this proposition. In May of this year, the California supreme courts over ruled this proposition. Voters in California this year are voting on Prop. 8 now, which again redefines marriage as between a man and a woman. Homosexual couples already have every right and ability that married couples have in California. The only difference is the name that is put upon it. But whatever name the relationship contract between homosexual couples might have, carries even great implications with it.
In the scriptures, it says that prophets are to be our watchmen on a tower, warning us of what is ahead. The Prophet Thomas S. Monson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has warned members of the dangers for the family that will occur if this proposition does not change. On October 8th, the church gave a special broadcast to Californians on Prop 8. Here is a clip from the special October 8th broadcast from the Church to Californians.
Here is another link to a website that list consequences of this proposition.
http://www.preservingmarriage.org/
Here is a video clip from the Vice-Presidential debate.
Here is a video of Elder Bednar from the the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints speaking with young adults about this issue.
This is a topic I feel strongly about. This issue is both moral and religious. In this way it is issue about rights that is so much different that those fought for in the recent past for equal and civil rights. No one is denying the rights of homosexual couples. They are denying the change of definition of something they hold sacred. I really wish that I were still registered in California to vote. I urge those who can vote in California to vote yes on Prop. 8.
Two Years Later: The Exclusion Policy
8 years ago
3 comments:
Kim, I think it's awesome that you're putting your beliefs out there. I agree with you 100%!
Michael's parents have been asked by the stake to go door to door to talk about this with their neighbors--how daunting would that be? thanks for the videos and info.
Hey! So, the backgrounds--- go to cutesblogontheblock.com and then on the left side she has a bunch of links. I think there is a link that says something like blog secrets. Click that link. And then you can click on How to Make your OWN Background. Then follow the instructions. I found the birds on the site that she recommends! HAVE FUN!
Post a Comment