Monday, February 2, 2009

Weekend trip

Russ and I got back from a relaxing weekend last night. Our trip was totally spur of the moment and everything just worked out perfectly. It all started last Wednesday when Russell finally decided I needed new shoes. While we were at sketchers, we found these strawberry covered shoes.


My mother in-law is obsessed with strawberries. If you don't believe me, just take a trip with me to Houston to look at her kitchen. They were only 10 bucks. $10 is an easy and inexpensive way to buy your way into your mothers heart (not that we needed to or anything). So we called her up to make sure she wasn't going to be out of town (as she often is). We were in luck!!! Not only would Russell's mom be there, but his dad was flying in from Nigeria that weekend too.

I don't have class Fridays. Russ had just taken his test Wednesday. Conditions were perfect (Flight of the Concords anyone?). So Thursday night, we took off for Spring, Texas. Of course mom oooed and awwed over the shoes when we got there.

Raelene just spoils us the whole time we are there. Friday we spent the day visiting, laughing, and just enjoying the company. Of course a trip to visit mom just wouldn't be complete without going out to dinner and a movie. Not only were we well taken care of and loved, but we got to relax more than we would ever do at home. At home, you can always think of something you should be doing.

Saturday she took us to the grocery store and tried to buy all our favorite foods. (mmm asparagus). Saturday evening we had delicious homemade pizza's at our friends house (Russell's old mission companion). It was fun visiting with them and seeing their new house. But, the best part was almost giving Russell's dad a heart attack in the car after picking him up from the airport. We hid in the back seat and then grabbed his shoulders with a big "HA!" after he got comfortable. Oh man, that was THE highlight of our weekend. Sorry Normy :)

I know from all this is sounds like we just like to visit Raelene for all the perks. But thats not the case. My favorite part was that we got to spend time with just her. No other family around (until Norm flew in Saturday night) that you have to please and moderate between. We could just focus on her, getting to know her, and building a firmer more loving and understanding relationship with her. It's hard to do this at big family gatherings. While no relationship is perfect- there are always differences, history, annoyances, and frustrations,-I am grateful for opportunities like these where you can look past all those things and just love a person for who they are and appreciate the things you can learn from them. I wish we could visit all our family members this way. I'm grateful for those random shoes for inspiring our trip.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoy being with your mother in law, Kim. :) That's lucky. Not everyone does. :)

Charly said...

Ah! Now I want to go visit my mom-in-law! What a fun weekend!

Rachel said...

Those shoes are totally Raelene. I love it. And I totally wish I could've seen Normy's face!! I'm glad you had a good weekend. :)

Ann-Marie said...

Welcome back to the blogging world! I'm glad you had a fun trip!!

the Danosaur said...

Cool trip. Awesome that it was inspired by shoes. I love spontaneous stuff like that.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, the shoes inspired the trip, huh? They are pretty cute, I'm sure she got some good squeels out of that one. I didn't hear about the Normy scare--now that sounds funny.