We had a very pleasant 4th of July. One of my favorite holidays! I love the whole atmosphere around the fourth with BBQs, swimming, and FIREWORKS. Since we did our BBQing and our swimming on the third, we had a whole day to fill on the fourth before fireworks.

We started off with a nice breakfast of blue playdoe crepes. Or at least thats what they looked liked. And then, after a lazy morning, we headed off to the dog park. Russell's idea. Not mine.


And that is where "the stray" comes in.

This puppy had been dropped off at the park collarless and really skinny. A lady who had been there before us had pulled a couple of big tics off his ears and so he was kinda bloody. The other people there said he had been a little shy around the other dogs. He was not so shy around Athena. He started following her around... tried mounting her a few times (she put him in his place really quick though). It was fun watching her play with him.
Anyhow, long story short, we ended up bring him home. Not permanently. We just couldn't leave him there. We have him at least for the weekend. We pulled a few more little tics out of his head and stuck a flea and tic collar on his neck. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to call the humane society in the morning, or try and clean him up and find a home for him myself. I'm kinda enjoying watching him interact with us and Athena. At first he was a little timid around us, but not anymore. It's been good for Athena to make her share our attention. She still works to show that she's top dog. She has to be first to be fed, first one through the door, if I pet the other dog too much she comes and puts herself between us. It's entertaining.

I really like this picture of the two of them. The puppy lays flat on the floor and wags his tail when you get near. Athena is off to the side, kinda keeping her distance, but eyeing him with contempt and mischievously planning how she is secretly going to get rid of him while still appearing sweet and innocent to her masters.
Here is a little video of them playing around together. One of the reasons I want another dog is so that Athena can have another dog to wrestle with.

Anyhow, enough about dogs. On to the best part of the 4th of July. FIREWORKS!!! Taylor and Diane joined us in going out to New Braunfels for the fireworks. I love fireworks. I think the only proper way to watch them is getting as close to ground zero as possible so that the booms pound your chests and there is no time delay between the boom and the glittery explosion. Diane and Taylor were very

obliging and patient while when I made them hike into the park and as we asked multiple people where to get to get "as close as possible". Our viewing spot did not disappoint. We had a perfectly unobstructed view and we even had nice grass to sit on since we were on a golf course. I loved loved loved the fireworks. Definitely worth the drive and the hike.
5 comments:
That's funny about the dogs. My parents dog lays down just like the stray dog.
And sounds like you had a nice 4th, Kim! I love your red shirt. You look way cute!
I can't believe you blogged the day after an event! yay!!! Crazy dog story, what love you have. My bet is you keep it. I'm glad you enjoyed the fireworks. I'm not a fan, myself. Fun to see the burgular.
Keep the dog!! He's so cute. :) And I thought about you yesterday when we saw the fireworks. I'm glad you had fun.
Bet ya keep it. Ares would make a good name.
we will not be keeping the dog. But IF we did, his name would be Odysseus, since Athena is Odysseus' protecting goddess in the Odyssey, or Hippocrates the father of Medicine. Currently we just call him "new dog". We are purposely not giving him a name.
Post a Comment